Located adjacent to Mother Brook with views towards the Blue Hills, Fairview Cemetery began serving Hyde Park as a burial ground in 1893.
Initially, the primary focus was on the development of circulation systems and lots. Landscape treatment was left primarily to lot owners. Initial development followed the precepts of the Lawn-Park Cemetery Movement of the time.
As is characteristic of this style, curved roads wind through expanses of lawn, interrupted by few trees or shrubs, creating a park-like landscape. After Fairview was acquired by the City of Boston with the annexation of Hyde Park in 1912, the cemetery saw increased development and new buildings.
Fairview contains the graves of many significant people of the area, including:
For more information: https://www.boston.gov/cemetaries/fairview-cemetery