The first chapel at Mount Auburn Cemetery, Bigelow Chapel, was designed in the 1840s in classic Gothic Revival Style. Architect Jacob Bigelow designed the chapel, the only entry in the design competition that included stained glass. The original stained glass windows, designed by Allan and Ballantyne, were imported from Edinburgh, Scotland in 1845. The chapel was rebuilt in the 1850s and the interior renovated by Willard Sears in 1899 to create a crematory. A new addition was built in 1970 to house a new crematory which enabled the chapel and crematory to function entirely separately.
Today the chapel can accommodate 75 guests in rows of wooden seats. Memorial services as well as arts programs and public events take place inside the chapel and in the surrounding gardens.
For more information: http://mountauburn.org/2011/bigelow-chapel/