Built as a non-denominational chapel in 1941, the chapel on Peddocks Island was fully renovated between 2012 and 2014 by the Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation and the Boston Harbor Alliance with support from the New England Union Carpenter’s Training Program and the Amelia Peabody Charitable Foundation.
One of 500 similar military kit chapels built before and during World War II, the chapel was used for Catholic, Protestant and Jewish services for members of the military and their families when Fort Andrew was an active military base. It also served as a place of worship for Italian prisoners of war held on the island and later for summer visitors to cottages on the island.
The chapel – built with a choir loft and government issued pipe organ – was abandoned when the fort was decommissioned in the 1950s. For the most part, the chapel fell into dis-repair in the 1960s. Between 2012 and 2014 the chapel was fully renovated including significant structural work, pew removal, lighting and sound system work, painting and landscaping. Windows, doors and hanging lights were installed from an identical chapel at the Naval Air Station in South Weymouth, MA that was being demolished.
For more information, please see: http://www.bostonharbornow.org/facilities